Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Are you there God? It's me, Steva.

The title of this post is exactly how I've been feeling these past few months. Being a senior in college and barreling down the slopes towards graduation, like so many of my fellow soon-to-be graduates... I can not stop thinking about what the next step is going to be. I know only 1 thing: I NEED A JOB. I know where i would like to end up (Boston) and areas that are of interest to me (Marketing, Advertising, Sales), but am i doing enough in the meantime to assure myself a position in the "real world"? How prepared can any of us really be?
This Blog Post is to others out there who are in my shoes right now or will be in the near future. I personally have done a few internships in different fields and done my best to network with whoever i can. But for those of you who may be just starting the internship process here are a few things i found helpful:
1) LinkedIn - this Site is amazing for getting your professional profile out there. I know many people close to me who have actually found employment through this site (#winning). LinkedIn is like a virtual brag book, you can display your resume, projects, and network connections as well as search for job/internship opportunities. But remember, its not like facebook. Keep it professional and all about your accomplishments thus far.
2) Use a college/university's Job center to your advantage! In many cases you can sign up to be on a email list to be notified of job opportunities, get help with practicing for interviews, and have someone look over and critique your resume. Chances are you're already paying for these services, use them to your advantage!
3) Don't rule out good ol' fashioned  search sites like Craigslist, they can be extremely helpful with finding opportunity's in your are. Hey, it worked for me! I found a full-time AND PAID internship opportunity through Craigslist.
4) Ask around! As parents/friends/family if any of the businesses they work for offer internships or jobs in the area you're interested in. Networking at its finest.
5) Stay in connection/ on good terms with past employers and co-workers. You never know when you may need a favor or who could turn out to be a vital reference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment